12 July 2010

Holy Guacamole!!

What's better on a sunny summer day than an ice cold beer and some chips and guac?  If you said Nothing, we can be best friends.  My guacamole is pretty kick a**.  It's my standard "bring-to-a-party" fare and it's commonly requested by friends and frenemies alike.  (I don't think I actually have frenemies, but I really wanted to use that word in a sentence....)  Anywho, the guac.  What started out as a nice measured recipe from one of my besties in the world, has now turned into my own science experiment of avocado goodness.  I tried this last time to take note of amounts, but guac is always best if you just taste as you go.  *Sidenote: guacamole is not photo-friendly....

Guacamole de Bethany


Combine all ingredients in bowl:
8 ripe avocados, cut in half, pitted, and flesh removed
2 lemons, juiced
(I place a sieve over the bowl and squeeze directly into the avocado)
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, grated (or finely minced)
3 T. coarse salt
3 T. fresh ground black pepper
1 T. hot sauce
hefty pinch of cumin
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

I use a big meat fork to mix it all together.  Also, a word about the lemons - traditionally, limes are used.  I like lime juice in my guac, but lemons give a much brighter taste and will keep all that avocado from turning brown during the party.  Rock the lemon. 






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails