23 June 2010

Outrageous Roasted Broccoli


I am about to give you all two posts in one day.  Outrageous! you cry.  Yes.  It is outrageous.  But I haven't blogged about anything in more than a week, so I figure, I kind of owe it to you.  This first post is about spicy roasted broccoli.  If you have never roasted broccoli, here is your chance.  I promise you will love it.  I used frozen broccoli for both ease and nutrition.  Broccoli is not in season up here in the great north.  We barely have asparagus and lettuce.  (I think we must be Zone Arctic Circle...) The broccoli in our grocery stores is probably from somewhere warm and sunny all year long, like California, so by the time it hits the produce section here it's already lost a lot of its nutritional value....this is why I use frozen.  I digress. 

Roasted Broccoli

1 bag frozen chopped broccoli OR 1 head chopped broccoli if it is fresh
4 T. olive oil, divided
2 large garlic cloves, grated (or finely minced)
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 450°F.  Pour chopped broccoli on to a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 3 T. olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Roast for 15 minutes.  Stir remaining tablespoon of oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.  Drizzle over broccoli; toss to coat.  Roast until broccoli is beginning to brown, about 8 minutes more.  Scrape up all the yummy brown bits from the bottom of the pan (these are called FOND) and serve immediately!

3 comments:

Marcia Rocheleau said...

Where did you learn about FOND? Not from your mother, ha!

Bethany said...

You know, I think I learned about FOND from good, old Martha :-)

Unknown said...

Grandma needs to get a new computer to post her own notes to you BUT...she is the biggest fane of your roasted broccoli. She's right, too. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails